Here’s a list of the top ten fears, courtesy of ABC News:
- Social phobias
- Open spaces
- Enclosed spaces
- Keep us from sin (Exodus 20:20)
- Give us wisdom (Job 28:28)
- Give us knowledge (Proverbs 1:7)
- Help us avoid and hate evil (Proverbs 8:13, 16:6)
- Give us long life (Proverbs 10:27)
- Lead us to wealth, honor, and life (Proverbs 22:4)
Proverbs 29:25 tells us that the fear of man is a snare. Look at the Top Ten list. Number 1? Social phobias: fear of man.
All ten can create emotional paralysis.
Yet according to 1 John 4:16-18, the fear of the LORD isn’t really fear at all. It’s love at its purest level, a love that drives out fear.
Fear of the LORD acknowledges God’s omnis: omnipresence, omnipotence, and omniscience.
It recognizes who He is and who we are.
It inspires deep gratitude for His mercy and our salvation.
It opens our eyes to the truth.
And calls us to walk in it.
Workout for the Week: Fear of the LORD
Memory Verse: Psalm 19:9 (NIV) “The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever.”
Meditation Passage: 1 John 4:16-18
Just Do It: Cultivate a fear of the LORD.